To get your body the way you want it on your wedding day may not be as difficult as you think. No miracle pills, no 10 days of juicing celery stalks, no starving yourself and forgetting what happiness feels like. I'm calling this The Duh Diet. Let's face it- we go about our day to day routines and get in the (bad!) habit of eating & drinking whatever is yummy or convenient. Now, keep in mind that I'm a big fan of yummy and I'm not easily persuaded to gravitate towards the opposite of that. So something better be really freakin' great at the end of the tunnel. And it is. I decided at the beginning of the new year I was going to get healthy and get hot. It is a process, and it won't happen over night, but I can promise you if you want something bad enough, you can have it. Here are the steps I've chosen to follow in order to be a hottie with a body before I get married in September.
- White Out- eliminate all (ok, most) foods in your life that are white. This includes pasta, bread, fries, ranch, chips, and Queso. DUH! How could you ever get a body to kill for if your stuffing yourself with these things? Some carbs are good for you but pick your battles with these.
- H20hh, Look At You- replace the sodas, sweet teas, and other sugary drinks with water. Replace beer with wine. (I didn't say we wouldn't have any fun.) And if you're not a wine girl, go for a vodka drink with a whole fruit juice like grapefruit. DUH! A bottle water with 0 everything or a Dr. Pepper with 250 Calories? It takes me running 2 miles to run off that DP. So once I start getting in the groove of working out, it doesn't seem worth it anymore. Bye-bye rundown, Hello refreshing. (Water has more benefits than just whittling your waistline. It is also good for your skin and makes it glow, acts as a mood booster and clears up acne.)
- Go Nuts- start choosing foods that are organic. < scary word! Not really. In reality this just means to bypass foods that are processed, are sold in a box, are fried, or seem too good to be true (i.e. Ramen noodles for .98). Instead, go for fruits! veggies! fresh produce! juices! nuts! (honey roasted almonds are jackpot) water! anything green! You're smart.. You know.
- Ready, Set, Goal- have several checkpoints along the way to your final goal. Example:
My Ultimate Goal is:
*Wedding Day- September
(This is the day I'm working for)
My (keep me in Check)Points are:
*Wedding Dress Shopping- January
*Family Wedding- March
*Engagement Pictures- April
*Friend's Wedding- June
*Bachelorette Party- July
These dates and big events will help me stay on track when it's sometimes hard to stay on the
healthy eating train. And don't think you have to have an lb number you have to lose. Trust me,
if you are doing these steps and sticking to it you are guaranteed to feel refreshed + amazing.
- Do Something- do anything. Walk around the block a few times, find a good workout video, jog for 20 minutes, take the stairs instead of the elevator (and then skip every other step), swim some laps, throw the football with your man, bend over and touch your toes (kidding. but if you want to..) Do something! If you are sore, that is good. DUH! That means you have somehow, in some way exercised. (< there's that word- you did it!) And stretch it out. Stretching elongates muscles and leads to you looking lean + tone. That's a W in my book. It doesn't matter what it is, but do something everyday.
- Buddy System- find a friend to hold you accountable and vice versa. For some reason it's more fun when you have someone to do painful ab workouts with you. Laugh, cut up, reward yourself with smoothies afterwards. DUH! More reps, lifts, and miles means smaller all over. Look out!
- Trophy Dear- ok, you don't have to buy yourself a shiny gold medal but DO reward yourself every week. Go 10 days without drinking your favorite soda and then have it for a 3 day weekend. Set a day a couple weeks ahead to be your cheat day and eat whatever you want. Life is too short and food is too good not to enjoy it. Enjoy it! Just do it in moderation. DUH!
- Sleep It Off- Dr. Oz is not kidding. He recommends 7 hours of sleep a night for our physical, spiritual, and emotional well being. After working, working out, dealing with kids + bosses (maybe those are the same thing), grocery store, pick up, clean up, drop off, drop dead kind of days- sleep is what we need most. I know it's difficult to juggle getting to bed early when you have a schedule of a super hero but as often as you can, get the most rest possible. Once again, feeling good = looking good.
- Stick To It- it won't always be easy. But it won't be the hardest thing you've ever done. That's why I tell you, DON'T GIVE UP!! The best feeling is being proud of yourself so just conquer one hill at a time until you get into a good routine. Soon, the (bad!) habits will become great habits with benefits. A total package you are. A win win. A bomb ass lady. Now, go take a hike hot stuff.